Monday, September 22, 2008

Fabric Stashing and addictions




I have to come clean, I really am addicted to fabric. You know the economic fact that even in the worst of times women will still find the money to buy a lipstick? Well, the heck with a lipstick, I will still get fabric!
I love it. I love the colors, the patterns, the texture, the smell of it, the way it feels draped over your hand, the endless possibilities in what I can shape it into. Fabric has personality. Each piece is unique and speaks to me about what it wants to be.
Vintage fabrics are the best because of the history attached to it. When I get a new vintage piece I love to think about who owned it, how many lives it has seen, how many tears, hugs, or laughs it has witnessed. I love the worn soft feel of vintage cotton. The colors and prints are so different than today. It is comforting to me and reminds me of a simpler way of life I wish was still around.
My fabric stash is growing out of control. My studio is small. Only 10x10 and I make use of every inch. However, even though I have been making bags and cranking out product, the fabric doesn't seem to go down. It's like when you have to eat something your not crazy about and even though you keep taking bites, it never goes down.
If I ever win the lottery, I am going to put an addition on my house for my studio. then my current studio can be one huge walk in closet just for fabrics!!! Aah! the shear joy of it.
I'll keep dreaming!

No comments: