Monday, February 23, 2009

My foray into Vintage Couture




Ok maybe not couture, but it is a vintage inspired cocktail dress from the 1950's. I had this lovely sage green brocade fabric in my stash for years. I never knew what I wanted to do with it until I came upon the idea of making it into a vintage styled dress.
The bodice has a boat neck collar and is fitted with waist and bust darts. It is fully lined for comfort as well as for shape. I chose to line the bodice with a really pretty cotton floral so there would be a surprise when moving or bending down, or hanging on the hanger. It went so well with the main fabric and I had to put it somewhere!
I also had a vintage barrette in my collection that I sewed to the waist as a focal point. I think it gives it just the right amount of interest without having to use a belt. The full skirt is knee length, and fun to twirl in!
I love how this turnd out and I can picture someone wearing it to a wedding, a shower, a summer party in the Hamptons, a matinee, or a special evening out with friends. Wouldn't it look equally great at the Kentucky Derby paired with a gorgeous large flora hat and a mint julep? Can you tell I must have been wealthy in a previous lifetime? Ah well, back to reality.
Off I go to the studio to create yet another fantasy in fabric!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh WOW, that is a fabulous dress! :D Very inspiring... I would love to be able to make my own clothes!