Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tough Decisions

Today I made the huge decision to put my Etsy shop in vacation mode. I moved all my listings to my artfire shop which I am hoping will do better. Although I loved the idea of Etsy, they are just getting too big, they do not advertise to the general public as much as they should, and the sales and views are shrinking.

I was very excited and proud to make the home page a couple of weeks ago, and I had hoped that things there would pick up. Things did not change and instead of wasting my time promoting, and creating for them, I am focusing more on my other outlets.

Truthfully I am becoming too busy to handle the upkeep of two online stores. I have been receiving more and more custom orders, and my designs are selling well in New Hope. I have also been contacted to wholesale my clutches in another boutique in NJ, and I have several home shows this summer. The textiles editor of Good Housekeeping saw one of my bags and loved it. She said my bags were of superb quality, inside and out, which is the sign of a real artisan! She is coming to one of the home shows so keep your fingers crossed.

Once I complete my custom order backlog, my goal is to start on my fall line. I want to come up with 2-3 basic shapes and a couple of special techniques I have in mind to really make them original, funky, and fun. I will premier them here when they are completed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Barb, I found your shop closed and for a moment was really scared, but now I'm really happy to hear that your business is growing outside Etsy!! You go girl!! I always admired your works and I think you have lot of talent and finally you got discovered, how nice!!
Best luck to you! Keep in touch, I'll be checking on your blog often to see what are you up too!!