Friday, January 16, 2009

Vintage Valentines

Ok I know it has been ages since I posted, but I have been very busy and I was also having problems signing into this account for some reason!

I currently have a cool treasury on etsy called Vintage Valentines and it features some amazing things so please check it out. http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=33607

Speaking of Vintage valentines I thought I would give out some ideas on things you can make to help decorate your home during this season of love. Fabric hearts are so easy and quick to make and they can be used as small pillows, gift toppers, sachets, or ornaments, depending on the size heart.

Pick out your favorite vintage fabric or any print you love. Make a heart template from a paper bag or piece of paper to use as your pattern. Cut out your pattern and pin it to you fabric which should be folded in half with right sides together. Cut out the heart, making sure to add a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Sew around the heart leaving an opening of about 2-3 inches to add stuffing. Turn the heart right side out and start filling it. You can use poly fill, cotton batting lavender,or my new favorite, fabric scraps!

I have so many scraps that I started using them to fill my pillows and hearts. I actually like using this type of fill because it gives the pillow a firmer shape. I made my BFF some hearts for Christmas and filled it with scraps that included pieces from things I had made for her over the year. It was a sweet way to remember those.

Once you have filled your heart until it is nice and plump, stitch up the opening and you are done! You can also add a ribbon loop at the top, simply by including it in between the seam allowance before you sew, and then catching it inside the seam. Make sure you place it upside down so when you turn your heart right side out, the loop isn't stuck inside the pillow! You can also play with the design and sew on some vintage buttons or rick rack to the right side of the heart before sewing the two halves together.

These make great gifts, and bring a shabby chic type of look to your home!

Have fun!

No comments: